June 24/21 - UPDATE
While the rest of the province will be entering Step 2 of the re-opening framework on June 30th/21, Waterloo Region will remain in Step 1 until at least mid July.
Unfortunately, this means that we are still not able to offer in car lessons as this time. When this changes, please know that we will be reaching out to book students right away.
NOTE: Please be advised that if you were planning to use the instructor's car for your test, you should make alternate arrangements; your instructor cannot legally provide this service at this time.
June 2/21 - UPDATE
Currently we are in holding pattern while we wait to see when the provincial government will allow us to re-open for in car driving lessons. On the government website, driving schools are to be under Step 2 of the reopening framework. If the plan remains the same we would be starting to offer lessons again on or about July 5th.
I am hoping that there will be enough public pressure to move us to Step 1, however that remains to be seen at this point.
When we are clear to start up again, lessons will be prioritized as follows:
- If you are currently taking in-car lessons, your instructor will reach out to reschedule when we are notified that we are clear to start up again.
- If you are yet to start in car, we will be prioritizing students as follows:
- Students whose files have expired or are about to expire
- Students that are already partially through their lessons
- Students that have reached out with extenuating circumstances I.e. moving away
PLEASE NOTE: Students that have not completed their online course will not be eligible to start in-car lessons until all online course requirements are complete.
Road Test bookings
If you have a road test that is scheduled between Step 1 (after June 14, 2021) but before Step 2 (approx July 5, 2021) and have yet to complete your in car lessons, you may want to reach out to your instructor to discuss readiness for your test. Please be advised that if you were planning to use the instructor's car for your test, you should make alternate arrangements; your instructor cannot legally provide this service at this time.
If you have a road test that is scheduled after July 5th and have yet to complete your in car lessons; please reach out to your instructor ASAP to inform them of your road test date (whether going in your own car or instructor vehicle.) Your instructor will try to accommodate your lessons prior to your test date**. **Due to the heavy backlog of students in the system, we cannot guarantee that all lessons will be complete prior to a pre-booked road test. If the instructor feels that you are not going to be ready for your test, they will recommend re-booking to a future date.
Please don't assume that your instructor can accommodate several hours of instruction in a short window.
Finally, we want to thank everyone for their patience during this trying time. It has been stressful for everyone and we are hoping that with the vaccines now rolling out that things will slowly get back to normal.
In the meantime, do what you can to protect yourself and others from Covid-19 by wearing a mask, washing your hands and keeping your distance - together we can make things better for everyone.
A few Important Reminders:
- Be screened to ensure that they: are feeling well; no fever, coughing, sneezing, sore throat and have not been in contact with anyone that has an active Covid-19 infection
- Wear a mask for the entirety of their in-car lessons and if necessary purchase a mask $2/each from the instructor
- Wash your hands with hand sanitizer (provided) prior to commencing with the lesson and at the end of the lesson.
- Take your mask with you at the end of your lesson; no garbage, water bottles, etc is to be left in the instructors vehicle.
Your instructor will...
- Wipe down all touch surfaces in the driver cockpit with a disinfectant prior to your entry to the vehicle and at the completion of your lesson
- Provide hand sanitizer for student use
- Carry a small quantity of single use masks for those that forget to wear a mask for lessons. Cost $2/each.
- Wear a mask during the entirety of your lesson
Should you not feel well; please inform your instructor by text ASAP and your lesson will be rescheduled when you are feeling better.
Self Serve Booking Portal
Currently lessons are being booked through your driving instructor. Once the backlog starts to settle, the self-serve appointment system will be opened up. Check back later for updates!
A few hints to make booking easier:
First lesson? Always book a one hour lesson; this lesson is an introductory lesson where the instructor will assess your current driving skills and set a plan for future lessons.
Sign In: The first time you book a lesson through the portal, square automatically makes an account for you. To book or revise lessons, just sign in with your cell number and you can book new lessons, cancel lessons or change pick up locations.
Pick up location: Make sure you clarify your pick up address or the instructor will automatically go to the address on your registration paperwork.
Lesson length: Once you have completed the first lesson, you can decide whether you want to do 1 hour or 90 minute lessons during future lessons.
Lesson start time: Book your in-car lessons at times that work best for you. If you need a slight modification in timing, leave a note when you book the lesson. Lesson requests are reviewed by the instructor to ensure that they can accommodate your timing. When the instructor approves your lesson they will update the start time as well.
Cancelling a lesson: Lessons that are more than 48 hours away can be cancelled by the student online. If you are having troubles, contact your driving instructor to assist you.
Having trouble booking?... Can't find any times? Text your instructor; they will be able to help you find something that works for you.